Friday, January 25, 2013

Coffee-mate!

Part 1: Morena’s story

‘This is our last coffee together’. I still cannot believe I actually said that. Saahil looked at me, his deep brown eyes diving deep into my diluted pupils searching for a reason and then focused on the plump teardrop on the edge of my left eye threatening a free fall any moment. I couldn’t hold it any longer and blinked even after a Herculean effort to stay steady! Saahil looked away and smiled in oblivion. How could he be so cool about it? He only made a feeble attempt to contend my statement, but gave up too soon. How easily he said, ‘if you feel uncomfortable, it is okay. I understand’.

Coffee in the office cafeteria symbolized the blessedness of our friendship for the last three years! Was our friendship so shallow that he let go as easily as I let go of my teardrop? End of coffee is also end of this friendship! Oh I know he is in love with that hot chick! He wants more time to chat with her and comment on her posts. That’s why he hardly talks to me these days and never has time. I have been observing for over six months now…we have become so formal. God, I feel dumped by my best friend. But I love him so much! How much I savored this cafeteria; the aroma of freshly brewed coffee here… I even looked forward to the coffee-wala’s wicked smirk each time I asked for extra froth on my cuppa. But today I abhorred his look as he served us coffee. The orange and white seating arrangement that was so soothing to the eyes is suddenly so intolerable that I almost feel like throwing up! Good then, I made the right decision by putting an end to this formality coffee!


Part 2: Saahil’s story

I have no words! Why are women always carrying an emotional baggage with them? I love her - simple! Why doesn’t she get it? Is friendship a frivolous game – how easily she destroyed a bond…over coffee; as if it never existed! This coffee makes no sense to me without her! If after spending three years together Morena doesn’t understand the depth of my emotions, why the hell should I even try to explain? Okay, we haven’t chatted up for few months, but I have always been there—right next to her. She has seen how work has consumed me- my health has gone for a toss.

We have still managed walks by the sea, discussed unique trees, spent lazy afternoons reading together, looked at each other silently over coffee and I have dropped her home almost every day! Just because I don’t talk as much as she does, it doesn’t make me non-existent! That’s a real deal-breaker. I can hide my pain and pull on with my life. I don’t need to express myself and cry out loud. I don’t think I have any friendship to offer if she ever comes back again! I love her, but am not thinking about that right now. My head is reeling with anger and anguish! She has a duplicate set of my house keys too. Still she thinks I ignore her?

2 comments: