Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Perfecting a knotty note!

Time for early morning riyaaz (practice)! I quickly finish a cup of warm lime-honey water and get ready to explore Indian classical music. ‘Ahaaa’- I clear my throat and adjust the tanpura. The unswerving buzz of this four-stringed instrument helps me stay tuned. I start with a morning song. Fresh mussaenda flowers outside the window and bird chirrups add to the ambience. After three minutes of soft rendition, I elevate my tone to touch a note on a higher octave. My voice goes shrill and my eyebrows crinkle. My ears fail to marry my voice with the harmonic resonance of the tanpura. I realize I am going off-key. I take a cue from the previous note and restart. As I attempt a higher pitch again, I focus on the lyrical expressions and set my voice free. There is unison between the tanpura and my song now! New note mastered- Yay!

2 comments:

  1. I personally like the "Yay", That says it all :) Thank you for painting such a simple and neat morning for us :)

    ReplyDelete